Serious Help for the Serious Pain of Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is often labeled as the “silent disease” due to a lack of symptoms. That is until a fracture of the wrist, hip or spine reveals the extent of the damage caused by the disease. May is National Osteoporosis Awareness and Prevention Month, and the Gulf Coast Pain Institute is dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of pain disorders, including osteoporosis. You don’t have to suffer; there is help for the serious pain of osteoporosis.
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), half of all Americans over the age of fifty will have weak bones or osteoporosis within the next five years. So how do we keep our bones healthy and fight this disease that is expected to attack half of us?
For those of us with a few miles on our bones, we can protect or increase our bone mass by adopting a few healthy lifestyle changes:
- Eat a healthy diet of lean proteins, beans, green leafy veggies, good fats and fiber.
- Cut out the carbonated drinks. These lead to calcium loss.
- Exercise. Weight-bearing activities that include walking, climbing the stairs, and gentle weight-lifting exercises build bone.
- Get some sunshine – before 10:00 in the morning or after 4:00 in the afternoon. And take Vitamin D and calcium supplements. Ask your doctor about correct levels.
- Quit smoking, and moderate your alcohol intake.
Risk factors for osteoporosis include aging and a family history of osteoporosis. Being female also increases your chances. Males suffer from this disease, too, but more women contract osteoporosis than men.
Protecting ourselves to the best of our ability from osteoporosis requires simple, healthy lifestyle adjustments. If it attacks us regardless of what we can do to ward it off, luckily there is help for the serious pain of osteoporosis at Gulf Coast Pain Institute.
Gulf Coast Pain Institute is staffed with medical experts skilled in diagnosing and treating a variety of injuries and degenerative disorders leading to acute and chronic pain. Our pain management practices include chiropractic therapy, physical therapy and massage therapy, and they extend to medicinal management and interventional procedures to alleviate pain. Gulf Coast Pain Institute is your number one source for complete pain management care in Pensacola and the surrounding areas. Call 850-484-4080 for an appointment and pain assessment today.